This space holds helpful information about software and hardware and vendors
that Dr. Hain has discovered by trial and error. Perhaps if enough of us do this,
searches on these devices or companies will bring up more relevant information.
February 9, 2021
With the recent coronavirus epidemic I have been trying to take care of my patients while "sheltering in place", meaning basically sitting around. I have tried out several of these, with mixed results.
I am using a very powerful PC with lots of memory and speed, and a heavy duty "conference camera" from Logitech. So my problems are not from lack of hardware.
doxy.me -- this software works most of the time.
- This program has evolved considerably over the last 6 months, and now works most of the time. It fails when internet is slow. I use the subscription plan -- I suspect it works more often than the free version (but no data)
Doximity dialer -- this free software no longer works.
- While Doximity was working wonderfully for about 3 months, it stopped working roughly in January of 2021. Support said that it had to do with Apple phones updating their system. Perhaps true, but it still doesn't work.
Google hangouts Meet
- Again, this software seems to work, but it is a bit clumsy for a medical office.
- It is HIPPA compliant
- It defaults to an odd screen configuration.
- It is also difficult to start up.
Zoom -- this software works fine, it just isn't that pretty for a medical office, and it requires setup for patients to use on their cellphone.
- Unlike the situation with "doxy.me", Zoom did not crash over and over. It works reasonably well. It is just a bit strange for a medical office.
- For Zoom to work on a cell phone, the user has to download the zoom application. However, it takes some computer savvy.
- We are a little worried about Zoom's security. For this reason, we only use it when everything else fails and the patient accepts the security situation.
And the winner is ??
In Feb, 2021, doxy.me is the default. Fall back is Zoom.
May 3, 2021
, Timothy C. Hain, M.D.
All rights reserved.