Various and Sundry notes of Dr. Timothy Hain
Emeritus Professor at Northwestern University Medical School, Chicago IL, USA.
Click here to see curriculum vitae.
EMAIL ADDRESS: firstname.lastname@example.org
This space holds helpful information about various things
that Dr. Hain has discovered by trial and error
- Hotel-coffee reviews (Dr. Hain likes his morning coffee).
- Dropbox -- synchronize files across multiple computers.
- Irfanview -- awesome little program to display and downsize graphic files
- libre office -- free program that among other things, replaces Microsoft Visio (Visio costs $500).
- PDF-Xchange viewer/creator. We have tried quite a few PDF programs -- we like this one the most.
- Osirix PACs server for radiology films. It's good enough for a small medical practice.
- PHP -- very good set of libraries. Unfortunately, needs a local server to run on your personal PC.
- phpESP -- survey software. Can be made to work after many hours of programming.
- Roboform -- online password manager -- very useful for those of us with 1000's of passwords.
- Syncovery backup program. Awesome backup program.
- Zoom (site indexer). A local search engine that doesn't track you and doesn't put up advertisements.
- Wines of Costco
- Istanbul, Turkey. Beautiful, old and cheap.
- Kyoto, Japan -- Beautiful, old and very expensive
- Madrid, Spain -- Ok, old and expensive (but much better than Moscow).
- Moscow, Russia -- Old, not so beautiful, extraordinarily expensive, and very difficult in many other ways.
Ideas (or modest proposals).
These are "obvious" ideas -- some of which we would like to see implemented, but not like to see patented.
Obvious stuff can't be patented. So we put them here to establish that they are "obvious".
December 8, 2018
, Timothy C. Hain, M.D.
All rights reserved.