Dr. Hain's Rants/Raves has helpful information about things
that Dr. Hain has discovered by trial and error.
SmartDraw (2013) -- should be "DumbDraw".
This program is designed to make Pie Charts. This could be handy, as Pie charts are easily understood.
Unfortunately, nearly everything in this program is messed up.
For example, take a look at this Pie chart.
- The original colors were a bileous green with black font. Had to change. Took me 5 minutes.
- The original fonts were black. Black fonts don't work in powerpoint. Perhaps they work for a white background. This is pretty unusual.
- Why on earth does the graph above have the percentages in parentheses ? I have not been able to figure out how to change this.
- Who needs a title when Powerpoint does this anyway ?
- It inserts into powerpoint, but does it in an idiotic way. It puts it at the end, not at the insertion point (took me a while to find it). The figure comes in ungrouped -- it is very easy to mess it up.
The program starts up with a "nag" menu to upload to the cloud. After some effort I got this turned off.
As a summary -- too bad this program is so bad. There is a need for a pie chart designer program. This is just so hard to use.
June 13, 2015
, Timothy C. Hain, M.D.
All rights reserved.