Rants and Raves of Dr. Timothy Hain
Emeritus Professor at Northwestern University Medical School, Chicago IL, USA.
Click here to see curriculum vitae.
EMAIL ADDRESS: email@example.com
This space holds helpful information about various things
that Dr. Hain has discovered by trial and error, or just felt strongly enough to need to vent.
So-so (suboptimal, or perhaps "challenged")
-- good stuff.
- Deepremove -- utility to get rid of pesky files left over from the past with too long file names.
- Dropbox -- synchronize files across multiple computers.
- Electric Sheep Screen saver -- this is an awesome and free piece of fluff ! Highly recommended.
- Foxit pdf reader/writer -- very fast and better feature set than Adobe Reader. However, we prefer others (see Nitro below).
- Irfanview -- awesome little program to display and downsize graphic files
- libre office -- free program that replaces microsoft Visio (costs $500).
- mouse without borders -- keyboard-mouse utility to use one set on two PCs
- PDF-Xchange viewer/creator. We have tried quite a few PDF programs -- we like this one the most.
- Osirix PACs server for radiology films. Much better than efilm (see above). Has some issues.
- PHP -- pretty good. Unfortunately, needs a local server to run.
- Roboform -- online password manager -- very useful for those of us with 1000's of passwords.
- Syncovery backup program. Awesome backup program.
- VirtualDub -- free and fast, but almost totally obsolete linear video editor. Also comments on some not so great video editors. Aimersoft and Cyberlink are the best.
- Zoom (site indexer).
- Istanbul, Turkey. Beautiful, old and cheap.
- Kyoto, Japan -- Beautiful, old and expensive
- Madrid, Spain -- Ok, old and expensive (but much better than Moscow).
- Moscow, Russia -- Old, not so beautiful, extraordinarily expensive, and very difficult in many other ways.
Ideas (or modest proposals).
These are "obvious" ideas -- some of which we would like to see implemented, but not like to see patented.
|Osaka palace. Rebuilt after the first one burned down.
||"Rendered services", Chicago auto pound. A joke ?
||2016 mob of supporters of Hilary Clinton after she lost the election. Backdrop is Trump Tower. They were chanting "F*" Trump.
11/25/2016 angry protesters on Black Friday
bussed into Chicago
|Black Lives Matter Demonstrators. Four large buses from Anderson Transportation dropped them off at about 12:30 AM. Apparently looking for more attention.
||Chicago's mayor, Emanuel Rahm, was president Obama's chief of staff. This group is not very supportive of Chicago's mayor. Many public school teacher union members were also in this group.
||Large numbers of our media were present at the Chicago Black Friday/Black Lives Matter event. Apparently here to provide attention. See also "Truth in Journalism"
February 17, 2018
, Timothy C. Hain, M.D.
All rights reserved.