Home Search Dr. Hain Clinic website Information for Dizzy Patients Fun Opinions (rants/raves)
Main Rants/Raves page
I purchased a 3 year web hosting from 1&1. I also set up a domain name for the purpose. The behavior of this company was very frightening.
- On setting up my new domain name, they "pointed it" to an advertising page. In other words, they used my domain name, to advertise other people's stuff. It had my domain name, and a subdirectory that didn't exist. They were pretending to be me.
- Next, I attempted to "ftp" a working site to my new domain name. After I did this, instead of it being "served", I still got the same advertising. On the 1and1 site, it offers a prepackaged "webbuilder" that allows one to serve "15 pages".
- However, after ftping, there was a gaping security breach -- when I put in the name of individual files within the home directory of my virtual server, it would offer to download them. No security, no password, no nothing. This is very dangerous !
- I contacted their support. They responded very quickly and pointed me towards several cryptic pages that purpurted to change the home directory to my site. I made the change, and nothing happened for several hours.
- 1&1 cannot spell simple words like "mexico". ("mexiko"). This does not lead one to have much confidence in them.
I do not think that 1&1 is a good choice for web hosting for the following reasons:
- 1. They do not respect their customer's property rights (they used my domain name for advertising)
- 2. Their "hosting" is dangerous (one should never be able to download php files).
- 3. Their virtual server provisioning is slow and extremely dangerous.
- 4. They are unprofessional.
|© Copyright June 13, 2015 , Timothy C. Hain, M.D. All rights reserved.|